The Hutted Camp, as it was known, was built between 1854 and 1859. Its construction was hastened by the outbreak of the Crimean War in 1854. The first phase of development instigated the gridiron planning framework, which was in part adapted by the later phases. Buildings included accommodation blocks and service buildings, such as cookhouses, churches and hospitals. The accommodation blocks also made provision for soldiers’ wives and children.