The first new barrack complex to be completed in South Camp was ‘Montgomery Lines’, built on the site of the former Corunna, Barossa and Albuhera barracks, west of Queen’s Avenue. The barracks were named after Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery, Colonel Commandant of the Parachute Regiment from 1944 to 1956, who officially opened the barracks on 7th April 1965.
Following this, other areas of South Camp were redeveloped during the 1960s and 70s. These include Browning Barracks, built in 1964, which served as a depot for the Parachute Regiment and which in 1969 was selected for a Civic Trust Award. Duchess of Kent Barracks which served the Women’s Royal Army Corps were open by the Duchess of Kent on the 11 July 1969. Buller Barracks were also built between 1965 and 1970 to serve the Royal Corps of Transport.